like us on facebook
SOCICC - Minutes     
Friday, July 27, 2012

SOUTHERN OREGON CHAPTER
INTERNATIONAL CODE COUNCIL
MINUTES
Friday, July 27, 2012
Medford Community Justice Building, Medford OR
12:00 p.m.
 
 
I.  CALL TO ORDER/INTRODUCTIONS
  • Chapter President, Mary Montague, called the meeting to order at 12:11 P.M.
  • Introductions were made. Guest speaker is Mike Carver from Boise Cascade.
  • In Attendance:  Mary Montague, Charles Chase, Bob Taylor, Michael Grubbs, Robert Rice, Tom Venzon, Dale Bohannan, Nannette Chase, Ken Sandlin, Chris Reising, Michael Morter, Ted Zuk, Todd Meador, Fred Grant, Larry Giardina, Jerry Greenlee, Allan Brown, Steve Pergin, Christy Taylor, Chad Wiltrout.
 
II.  APPROVAL OF AGENDA
  • Bob Taylor made a motion to approve the agenda with the additions of SOC/ICC ABM Registration and an OBOA update. Robert Rice seconded the motion. Motion carried.
 
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
  • Robert Rice made a motion to approve the July minutes as presented and Chris Reising seconded the motion. Motion carried.
 
IV. REPORTS OF THE OFFICERS
  • Treasurer’s operating report was attached to the agenda. The 1% training funds were received. The Chapter currently has a balance of $12,093.31.
 
V.  UNFINISHED BUSINESS
  • SOC/ICC ABM – The registration forms are ready and members are to complete a form if they will be attending the ABM . This year’s ABM will be held at Taprock NW Grill in a conference room. Out of town guests may reserve rooms with The Lodge At Riversidewww.thelodgeatriverside.com/
  • 2012 ICC ABM Workgroup Update – Nannette stated that ICC will work with Travel Portland to provide attendees and companions with a weekly transportation pass when they register at one of the ‘Host Hotels.’ The list of participating hotels is on the ICC conference webpage. The prototype for the Chapter pins has not been finished yet.  A Voodoo Doughnut truck has been reserved and will be parked outside the World Forestry Center. The volunteer spots are filling up; only 25 left at this time.
  • Education Committee Update - Mary reported that the committee has met twice and is working on putting the materials together for a class on wall bracing. The issuance of CEUs for the class will be considered. The committee is hoping to hold the class in the fall but will have to submit class materials for approval by the state legislature before a date can be set.
  • Discussion of Region II Formation – Robert Rice spoke about the history of the formation of the ICC Regions; ICC developed regions in 2003 and many of the regions then developed chapters. One of the reasons the regions were formed was to give a larger voice to the chapters. Dale Bohannan questioned the benefits of participating/ joining Region II. Robert suggested possibly putting this item on the September agenda and ask Paul Ilg who is on the Region II Committee and from Tumwater, Oregon, participate via conference call. Robert feels Paul would be the best one to answer some of the member’s questions; members agreed with Robert’s suggestions. Robert also stated that there is a weekly Region II conference call; if anyone is interested in participating they may contact Paul for information at PILG@ci.tumwater.wa.us.
  • OBOA Update – Robert Rice presented some highlights from the OBOA annual meeting that was held in Bend, OR. The guest speaker was Jeff Johnson, Fire Chief of Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, who spoke about customer service. Robert talked briefly about a new CEO/Executive Manager being selected; Matt Wheeler, Wheeler Association. Matt is not a registered lobbyist in Oregon so the OBOA board members will be active with legislation. Kraig Stevenson, ICC Senior Regional Manager of Government Relations for the NW Region, will be the guest speaker for the SOC/ICC ABM this year. Robert stated that OBOA heads up COECO and our chapter is involved with the training opportunities. COECO is considering offering on-line courses. The Fall Institute is going to be held in September this year due to the ICC/AMB being held in October.
  • Registration Certificates for ICC/ABM – Mary stated that our chapter received five certificates for registration to the 2012 ICC/ABM. Officers will each receive one, which leaves two certificates available. There will be a drawing held at the SOC/ABM in August and members ‘in good standing’ will be able to put their name in a drawing for a certificate. Members must be present to win!
VI. NEW BUSINESS
  • BCD Update - Michael Morter, our BCD Regional Representative, stated the code adoption process is being delayed for one year. Michael spoke about the Specialty Inspectors Training issues. An electrical exam was apparently beyond the course work and Mike Grubbs will review the exam and make modifications. There is a need to bring someone in to help with field certifications and assess inspectors. Other ideas are being requested such as a possible pilot program for permit techs to perform limited ‘over the counter’ plans review. The Specialty Inspectors Training program has a ‘sunset’ date of 2017. If the program proves successful then it can be extended by the state legislature.
  • Officer Elections – A vote was taken and the new officers will be: Charlie Chase, President; Mike Grubbs, Vice President; Nannette Chase, Secretary; and Ted Zuk, Treasurer. The new officers will be installed at the SOC/ICC ABM on August 26, 2012, and will serve a two year term.    
VII. OPEN DISCUSSION
  • Presentation on HVAC in conditioned space by Michael Carver, Boise Cascade. Michael provided each member an Engineered Wood Products binder. 
 
VIII. NEXT MEETING
  • August 24, 2012, at Taprock NW Grill, 941 S.E. 6th Street, Grants Pass, OR. 
No Host cocktails in downstairs bar from 5-6 P.M./ Dinner & meeting 6-8 P.M./ Social time 8-10 P.M.