like us on facebook
SOCICC - Minutes     
Friday, December 07, 2012

SOUTHERN OREGON CHAPTER
INTERNATIONAL CODE COUNCIL
MINUTES
December 7, 2012 / 12:00 P.M.

Black Bear Diner, 1900 NW 6th Street, Grants Pass, OR
 
 
  1. CALL TO ORDER/INTRODUCTIONS
 
  • Chapter President, Charles Chase, called the meeting to order at 12:02 P.M.
  • Introductions were made. Michael Morter introduced special guest Susan Brown, Boiler Inspector for So. Oregon.
  • Members in attendance:  Charles Chase, Michael Grubbs, Ted Zuk, Nannette Chase, Tom Venzon, Robert Rice, Michelle Stevens, Chris Reising, Ken Sandlin, Dale Bohannan, Audra Wonsyld, Lynda Wulf, Roger Hayden, Chad Wiltrout, Michael Rokus, Kamron Ismaili, Michael Morter.
 
  1. CODE PRESENTATION/EDUCATION
 
  • Dale Bohannon gave a presentation on “Common Paths of Egress Concepts”.  He covered basic areas such as Three Components of Means of Egress; Common Path of Egress Travel; Exit Access Travel Distance; Spaces With One Exit; Stories (Floors) With One Exit.  Dale gave members handouts of calculation tables and exit-access design requirements.
 
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
 

  • Robert Rice made a motion to approve the November minutes as presented and Michael Grubbs seconded the motion. Motion carried.
 
IV. REPORTS FROM OFFICERS
 

  • Ted Zuk handed out copies of the October and November operating reports.  The October ending balance was $9,710.73 and the November ending balance was $9,524.60. Charlie asked the members if they would be in support of opening a savings account at Evergreen Bank to make it easier to reserve the meeting room at Taprock NW Grill. The members were in agreement and authorized Ted Zuk to open the account for $250.00. Ted and the president, Charlie Chase, will each be signers on this account and may not spend over $500.00 without both signatures.
 
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
 

  • Ted has reserved the Brookings Inn for the June 28, 2013 meeting. The cost of the room is $25 and catering for the lunch will be available. If anyone wishes to stay the night at the Brookings Inn, the cost of a room is $75 per night.
 
VI. NEW BUSINESS

  • Charlie reminded members of the need to offer classes this spring in order to bring in funds to support the chapter. Dale mentioned that it will be more profitable to use the AIA Chapter instructors vs. using out of state instructors. Michael Morter suggested using the ICC instructors. Robert said classes with the ICC instructors tended to be filled to capacity. Michelle suggested including classes that cover both structural and fire issues. Discussion continued regarding other possible instructors. 
  • OBCD update - Michael Morter talked about HB 3462 and that John Powell did a fantastic job on the training. The on-line class for the permit tech basic plans review is full at this time. If anyone knows a permit tech that still wants to take the class, contact Michael. Michael will send a reminder out to the Building Officials regarding signing up for the Residential/ Specialized Finals Inspector Certification training. Other OBCD items: working with counties on fees and hiring flexibility; working with the Association of Oregon Counties on lifting the 2017 sunset deadline for HB 3462; providing interim help to Curry County and taking over for Wallowa County.
  • Michael Grubbs said the Chapter Awards Program annual report has been completed. He mentioned that ICC would like input on ideas for future training classes. Robert stated the ICC is reworking their points program.
  • Susan Brown offered to do a presentation regarding boilers for the January 25th meeting. Michael Grubbs stated that Hilti Firestop Systems will be the presenter for the February 22nd meeting.
  • Chris Reising stated that the Education Committee will submit a schedule at the January meeting for the March - December monthly presentations and for the education classes to be offered in 2013.
VII. OPEN DISCUSSION
 

  • Robert Rice spoke about the adoption process of the 2012 International Building Code as our 2014 Oregon Structural Code. The deadline for submitting code proposals is December 17, 2012.
  • Michael Rokus thanked the chapter members for his registration to the 2012 ICC ABM. He said it was a great experience and he was very happy to have attended.
  • Susan Brown spoke briefly about providing groups with free trainings on boilers.
  • Charlie thanked Robert for his helpful suggestion at a recent fire scene. Robert’s suggestion was to use scaffolding inside the burned building during the investigation.
  • Michael Grubbs began a discussion about Chapter 5 / Floors in regards to furnaces in crawl spaces for new construction. Robert gave an overview of the history for creating this section of the code and some of its flaws.
 
VIII.     NEXT MEETING
 

  • The next meeting will be held on January 25, 2013, at the Community Justice Building, 1101 W. Main Street, Medford, OR.
 
VIIII. MEETING ADJOURNED
 

  • The President adjourned the meeting at 1:35 P.M.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Minutes by Nannette Chase