SOUTHERN OREGON CHAPTER
INTERNATIONAL CODE COUNCIL
March 22, 2013 / 12:00 P.M.
Medford Community Justice Building, Medford OR
- CALL TO ORDER/INTRODUCTIONS
- Chapter President, Charles Chase, called the meeting to order at 12:07 P.M.
- Members in attendance: Charles Chase, Michael Grubbs, Ted Zuk, Nannette Chase, Todd Brooks, Bob Phillips, Michelle Stevens, Margueritte Hickman, Dale Bohannan, Robert Rice, Ken Sandlin, Brian Pike, Chad Wiltrout, Derek Zwagerman, Dennis Richey, Jerry Schaeffer, Mike Oliver, Brian Murdock, Kamron Ismaili, Chris Reising.
- CODE PRESENTATION/EDUCATION
- Dallas Helbig and Tim O’Sullivan from C & S Fire Safe Services are Fire Suppression Technicians. Dallas gave a presentation on Kitchen Suppression Systems. He gave out folders with information that included fusible links, kitchen suppression quick reference, fire extinguishing quick reference; and restraint fire protection changes.
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Michael Grubbs made a motion to approve the February minutes as presented and Chris Reising seconded the motion. Motion carried.
IV. REPORTS FROM OFFICERS
- Ted Zuk handed out copies of the February 2013 operating report. Ted reminded everyone to pay their $10 membership dues and he passed around the 2013 membership forms. Ted reported that he has obtained a mobile card reader and is in the process of setting up an account with PayPal. The card reader should be up and running by April’s meeting.
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- 2013 ABM – Ted presented an information matrix on venues for this year’s ABM that included Diamond Lake, Crater Lake, and Lake of the Woods. After some group discussion Chris Reising mad a motion to eliminate Crater Lake and Lake of the Woods and leave Diamond Lake for consideration. Michelle Stevens seconded the motion. Motion passed. Robert Rice made a motion that Ted, Nannette, and Chris Reising look into other possible venues and make the decision by the April meeting. Jerry Schaeffer seconded the motion. Motion carried. Robert stated that we should submit a request on line if we would like for an ICC Board Member to attend the ABM and Melanie Adams will also be attending this year’s ABM to give an update on legislative actions.
- Education Schedule for 2013 – Chris Reising thanked Jackson County for putting on the recent education classes. Chris spoke about the scheduled classes and the list of classes yet to be scheduled. Complete details with cost, time, and location of the classes will be posted soon on the chapter’s website. The two classes scheduled so far are:
May 3, 2013 - Wet Vent/Grease Interceptors
June 11, 2013 - Occupancy Classifications/Allowable Building Heights
There was discussion about the list of classes that still need to be scheduled. Charlie and Michael Grubs will assist with finding instructors for two of the classes. Robert Rice offered to take part in the instruction of a Photo Voltaic/Solar Code class.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
VII. OPEN DISCUSSION
- Officer Duties - Charlie asked members to consider ideas for officers to share the work load. At this time the Treasurer and Secretary positions have the heavy work load. The SOCICC By-laws are broad and not very specific regarding the duties of the officers. Dale suggested ‘standing committees’ where the President appoints members to special projects.
- OBCD /OBOA Update – Robert Rice stated that the OBCD is in the process of adopting the 2012 IBC as the 2014 Structural Code. Robert mentioned there are a lot of changes and the goal is to go with the model codes. Members can check the OBCD website for complete information. Robert informed the members that the new OBOA Account Manager is Vickie Danielson. Regarding new legislation, Robert stated there are some items coming up that include special provisions for beer breweries and rural areas having their own ‘quasi code’.
VIII. NEXT MEETING
- Margueritte and Dale both stressed that fire suppression systems are critical and training on how to inspect them is very important.
- Kamron announced that Jerry Schaeffer is back at IV Fire volunteering part time as Fire Marshal.
- Dale thanked the fire service personnel for attending today’s meeting.
- The next meeting will be held on April 26, 2013, 12:00 P.M., Black Bear Diner, 1900 NW 6th Street, Grants Pass, OR
- Presentation: Kent English, Action Industrial Systems on NFPA 72
VIIII. MEETING ADJOURNED
- The President adjourned the meeting at 1:30 P.M.
Minutes by Nannette Chase