SOUTHERN OREGON CHAPTER
INTERNATIONAL CODE COUNCIL
April 25, 2014 / 12:00 P.M.
Taprock NW Grill, Grants Pass, OR
- CALL TO ORDER/INTRODUCTIONS
- Chapter President, Charles Chase, called the meeting to order at 12:14 P.M.
- Members in attendance: Charles Chase, Ted Zuk, Nannette Chase, Robert Rice, Michael Morter, Chris Reising, Greg Seger, Derek Zwagerman, Chad Wiltrout, Jay Stine, Lois DeBenedetti.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Chris Reising made a motion to approve the March minutes as presented and Derek Zwagerman seconded the motion. Motion carried.
III. REPORTS FROM OFFICERS
- Operating Report - Ted Zuk handed out copies of the March 2014 operating report. Ted stated there were no large expenditures in March.
IV. CODE PRESENTATION/EDUCATION
- Keith Schaber is the president of Schaber Roof Consultants Inc. Keith gave a presentation on New Allies for Improving & Enforcing Roof Codes. Some topic highlights from the presentation: There are new allies behind the scene to help with enforcement of the codes; interdiction of a model roofing permit; many reroofing and recovering work on public schools are not meeting code; code compliant roofs cost 10% more but the energy savings are 20% greater than noncompliant roofs; items to check for on bidding and permitting roofs; photos of roof problems in Bend, Medford, Beaverton, Rogue River, and Grants Pass areas. There was a discussion on enforcing the roof code. Robert stated that OBOA has already begun conversation on the topic and that getting consistency throughout the Building Departments is needed. Keith mentioned the idea of providing education classes on the roof code for contractors and architects.
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- Update on Nomination of 2014 Officers – Mary Montague and Dale Bohannan are on the nomination committee and are making phone calls to prospective nominees. They will provide the list of nominees at the June 27th chapter meeting.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
- BCD Update – Michael Morter talked about the April 2014 BCD newsletter that includes information about the changes in training for new Building Officials. The training is required now and is ‘tiered’ training depending on the BO’s experience. He also spoke about BCD expanding training on planning and electrical for residential inspectors. Michael informed members that a code change course will be held on June 5, 2014, between 8 am and 12pm at the Medford Library. Members can check the BCD website for other classes and locations.
- Charlie Chase asked members to consider a location for this year’s annual business meeting and if the chapter is interested in paying half the dinner cost for members. The annual business meeting will be held on August 22, 2014.
VIII. NEXT MEETING
- June 27, 2014, 12 P.M., Medford Community Justice Building, Medford, OR.
VIIII. MEETING ADJOURNED
- The President adjourned the meeting at 1:35 P.M.
Minutes by Nannette Chase