SOUTHERN OREGON CHAPTER
INTERNATIONAL CODE COUNCIL
~ MINUTES ~
March 25, 2015 /12:00 P.M.
Taprock NW Grill, 971 SE 6th St, Grants Pass, OR
- CALL TO ORDER/INTRODUCTIONS
- Chapter President, Ted Zuk, called the meeting to order at 12:08 P.M.
- Members and guests in attendance: Ted Zuk, Jay Stine, Dale Bohannon, Tom Phillips, Dennis Richey, Chad Wiltrout, Robert Rice, Derek Zwaggerman.,John Page, Ken Sandlin, Michelle Johnson, Jeremy Payne, LauraLee Snook, Bill Clemens
- EDUCATIONAL COMPONENT OF MEETING
- Guest Speakers – Simpson Strong Tie, Dave Gilroy
- Dave gave a presentation on Strong Tie products and installation procedures. The overview included the new Simpson app for your phone. Corrosion effects on hardware, how to use the charts, holddowns not designed to be used on (2) 2x’s, use not allowed on king studs, beam columns requiring strapping at splices, and the new RPB2 retrofit post base.
- Tom Phillips, BCD Regional Liaison and Statewide Liaison Manager gave an update: Tom informed members of the latest from upstate. Including the CMS program, the BCD / CCB class for contractors coming to Medford, the number of code change classes given so far, an update on inspector cross training classes, BCD has lost track of inspector certs. and is asking for help from BO’s on their inspectors, FEMA is outside of our code, and working on an entry level high school technical program for students. He also offered that BCD was looking for a mechanical teacher for it’s courses.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Minutes from February 25, 2015. Derick made the motion to approve, and Chad 2nd the motion. Motion passed.
IV. REPORTS FROM OFFICERS
- Operating Report – Dennis handed out copies of the February 2015 operating report.
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
VI. NEW BUSINESS
- Education Committee – Jeremy gave an update on ICC Preferred Provider Program. Membership fee per year would be $200 will allow the onsite training only option. Jeremy volunteered to be primary contact and Bill Clemens offered to be secondary for this program. Robert welcomed Bill to our meetings and Ted seconded that welcome and thanks for already volunteering.
- Outreach Program – Home Depot, “Ask an Inspector Event” was discussed and May 8th, a Friday was selected as the date for it to occur. Robert suggested we have it outside as it is easier to use the good / wall bad wall that way. Ted was to send out a volunteer sign up e-mail with times to pick from. Several volunteers did voice themselves at that time.
- The contractor round table meeting date was discussed and May 28th, a Thursday was selected. Chad would inform Medford of the need for a conference room for that date. The meeting would be from 4PM – 6PM
- The ABM final location was discussed and it will be a two day event in Gold Beach at the Pacific Reef Hotel. Jim Brown, our ICC Board Liaison has agreed to attend and there would likely be family friendly events also. Ted would send out a save the date announcement. Robert made the motion to choose this date and venue and Dennis seconded.
VIII. OPEN DISCUSSION
IX. NEXT MEETING
- Time was running short and none submitted for discussion.
X. MEETING ADJOURNED
- Next meeting is April 22, 2015 @ 12 pm – Community Justice Building, 1101 W. Main, Medford, OR
- Derek made a motion to close the meeting and LauraLee seconded the motion. Motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 2:45 P.M.