OUTHERN OREGON CHAPTER
I. CALL TO ORDER – INTRODUCTIONS
International Code Council
August 21, 2015 – 8:07am
Annual Business Meeting – Pacific Reef, Gold Beach, Oregon
* Members and guests in attendance : Dennis Richey, Ted Zuk, Todd Brooks, Bob Phillips, Jeremy Payne, Mike Smith, Michelle Johnson, Jay Stine, Mary Montague, Greg Seger, Derek Z., John Page, Lauralee Snook, Mark Stevens
* Special guests – Dave Mills, from Oregon State Fire Marshal’s Office.
Jim Brown, ICC Board Member for the Western States.
Tom Phillips, State Building Codes.
Chase Browning, Fire Sprinkler Coalition.
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
III. EDUCATION COMPONENT OF THE MEETING
- Lauralee motioned to accept the last month’s minutes. Jeremy 2nd the motion. Motion carried.
(a.) Small spirit distillers. New interpretations on how to regulate and classify distillers within the fire code. Building codes will soon be adopting and regulating these types of environments.
- Guest speaker, Dave Mills – Oregon State Fire Marshal, updated the Chapter on three topics.
(b.) Low Frequency Sounder (Smoke Alarms) NFPA 72 is in the process of adopting new product designs. These devices will be 520 Hertz, and provide low frequency sounds. Final U.L. acceptance is near completion.
(c.) New regulations on special events, fairs, and carnivals. State fire interpretation on how to address temporary canopies and large tents during special events.
* Guest speaker, Tom Phillips – Oregon Building Codes Division. Tom also enlightened the group on current events.
(a.) SPI – Inspector Cross Training Classes, Electrical and Plumbing classes are in session at this time. Structural and Mechanical will start up in the spring of 2016.
(b.) Cross Timber Construction – This new technology in construction consists of multi-story buildings. Performance Base Approach Technology is the wave of the future. The City of Portland has a 12 story high rise Cross Timber Construction Building in plan review stage at this time. Jeremy Payne, from our Chapter, is on this special committee. Congratulations Jeremy!
(c.) B.C.D. and C.C.B. – The State is in the process of combining these two programs.
(d.) Marijuana – Tom touched on the new regulations that the state is adopting.
*Guest speaker, Chase Browning – Representing the Oregon Fire Sprinkler Coalition. Chase gave a great presentation on NFPA 13 D System. Fire sprinklers save lives, and technology has allowed the installation cost of residential application to be economical.
* Guest speaker, Jim Brown – ICC Board Member, for the Western States. Our Chapter was very proud to have Jim take the time and travel out to the West Coast, all the way from Gillette, Wyoming. Cowboy Jim updated us on the ICC organization. He encouraged members to voice their concerns, and hopefully attend the ICC Annual Conference in Long Beach, California.
IV. REPORTS OF OFFICERS
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- Treasurers Operating Report, given by Dennis.
* Jerry Mallory, candidate for ICC Section “D” Director, requested a letter of support from our Chapter. Mary motioned to support Jerry. Dennis 2nd the motion and motion carried.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
- Reminder for the upcoming Annual Conference in Long Beach Ca. Ted has a couple of free tickets……contact Ted if you are interested! President Ted highlighted the Chapters many accomplishments this past year. The Chapter became an ICC Preferred Provider, started an Outreach Job Fair, hosted several ICC training classes, and also organized a wonderful 3 day Oregon Beach event!! Terrell Stripling, ICC Instructor from Alabama, flew out to Oregon, August 20th, and gave the Chapter a full day of 2 classes….2012 IBC Allowable Heights and Areas and also, 2012 IBC Accessible Means of Egress. Mr. Stripling entertained the group with his Southern charm.
VIII. OPEN DISUSSION
First Day – There was a very interesting class instruction from Mr. Terrell Stripling. That evening there was a wonderful Cajun feast on the beach. To cap of the evening, the group enjoyed the sunset, guitar music and singing.
- Members and guests who attended the blowout year end gathering really enjoyed the 2 day event.
Second Day – Chapter meetings with wonderful speakers and guests. That afternoon and evening we enjoyed a wet and wild 80 mile trip up the Rogue River on Jerry’s Jet Boats. The following day we had a beautiful drive back through the Redwoods and Smith River….then back to smoky Medford.
IX. NEXT MEETING
X. MEETING ADJOURNED
- September 23rd at Taprock NW Grill, 971 SE 6th Street, Grants Pass. Guest speaker will be Mike Huser, Trex Decking Representative.
* Lauralee motioned to close the meeting….Derek 2nd the motion. Meeting closed at 1:45pm