SOUTHERN OREGON CHAPTER
INTERNATIONAL CODE COUNCIL
~ MINUTES ~
May 26, 2016
Carnegie Library Building,
413 W. Main Street, Medford – 2nd Floor
I. CALL TO ORDER – Welcome and Introductions – Roll Call
- Members and guests in attendance; Ted Zuk, Dennis Richey, CJ Marincus, Mark Stevens, Tanner Fairrington, Chase Browning, Jay Stine, Bob Phillips, Andrew Bongers, JT Thomas, Chad W., Dale B., Andrew Owen, Todd T., Steve Matiaco, Scott L., Derek Z., Jeremy Payne.
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- There was a minute’s correction from the April 28th, 2016 monthly business meeting.The previous guest speaker was changed from Atrium Windows to Mr. Pazera, from Owen Corning. Derek motioned approval of last month’s minutes, motion was approved.
III. GUEST SPEAKERS
- Marcin Pazera, from Owens Corning, spoke about proper attic ventilation and why moisture exhaust will prolong the life of a roof.In various climates improper ventilation causes corrosion, mold-mildew, wood rot, ice damming, water leakage, and cracking of the roof material.Three factors come into play; (1). Outdoor moisture – rain, snow, heat and humid air. (2). Indoor moisture- Bath, kitchen and laundry. (3). Construction- Building material and the design of the attic roof structure. The benefit of ventilation is that it removes moisture, and it provides air exchange through the mechanical means of wind induced pressure.
- Scott Linfesty, B.C.D Southern Regional Coordinator, updated the Chapter on upcoming events and training procedures.Check with the B.C.D. website for upcoming certification trainings.Transition – Oregon certifications will replace ICC certifications in November 2016.In August all active inspectors will receive notice (letter form) of requirements for Oregon licenses and certifications.There will be documentation of trainings and certifications sent to Jurisdiction Building Officials so that in November the new Oregon licenses can be adopted. Clarification – Oregon Building Codes will be strongly enforcing the ORS Regulations that Building Inspectors and Officials will no longer be allowed to provide services outside their jurisdictions.
IV. REPORTS OF OFFICERS
- Treasurer’s Operating Report, provided by Dennis.
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- Report on the Fire and Life Safety Principles class we had….response from Alex and CJ, who attended, was that it was a good class.
- Reminder of upcoming classes - July Fire Code Classes….sign up now.Our own Chase Browning is offering these special classes.July 27th_ Pumps for fire Protection, and July 28th _ Sprinkler Protection for High Pile Storage.
- Reminder for registration and lodging for ABM.
- Jeremy is requesting suggestions for classes that can be offered by using our “Preferred Provider” status.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
- Local Amendment Adoption process with BCD concerning marijuana odor control has been conditionally approved by Mark Long BCD.
- Working with OBOA on Cannabis Extraction and Building Codes class coming to Southern Oregon.
VIII. OPEN DISCUSSION
- A letter for upcoming ICC Board nominations.Allen Bradley Boswell is requesting re-election for the position of Director of ICC.The Chapter tabled their comments until the next meeting.
(1.) Anchor bolts and hold downs – Alex questioned the local contractor’s installation procedures when drilling and epoxy bolts are installed.
- Four topics from members –
(2.) CJ commented on how the Vapor Barrier requirements are being applied in reference to vaulted ceilings.
(3.) Tiny Houses just don’t go away. Jeremy brought up the topic. City of Ashland is considering this as an option for the homeless.
(4.) Chase Browning presents a Fire Sprinkler Coalition Class on NFPA 13 D System Standards on residential applications. Class next Tuesday, May 31 @ 10am.
IX. NEXT MEETING
- June 23rd at Taprock NW Grill, 971 SE 6th St., Grants Pass
- Guest Speaker….TBA
- Mark motioned to adjourn, motion carried.Meeting was adjourned at 1:58 PM.