SOUTHERN OREGON CHAPTER
INTERNATIONAL CODE COUNCIL
~ MINUTES ~
June 23, 2016
Taprock NW Grill, 971 SE 6th Street, Grants Pass
I. CALL TO ORDER
- Meeting called to order @ 12:18
- Welcome and Introductions –Roll Call
Members and Guests in attendance : Dennis Richey, Chad Wiltrout, Ken Sandlin, Derek Z., Ted Zuk, Robert Rice, Jay Henry, Tom Phillips, Katelyn Leasia, CJ Marincus, Mark Stevens, Frank Wharregard, Joelen Wood, Jeremy Payne, Chase Browning, Michael Stewart
- Introduction of Michael Stewart, new local FPE
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Minutes from May 26, 2016 Monthly Business Meeting. Derek motioned for approval of minutes, Dennis seconded the motion, motion carried.
III. GUEST SPEAKER
- Introduction of our new BCD Southern Regional Coordinator, Jay Henry. Jay addressed the group and was welcomed by our members.
- Tom Phillips, Regional and Local Government Relations Manager spoke about the recent certification rule changes. Tom answered an array of questions from members at the meeting. August 1st the State will send out in letter form the new Oregon Transfer Certifications. ICC certifications will be changed to Oregon certifications. Inspectors and Building Officials will have a grace period of approximately 2 months to examine and send back the certification information to the BCD. On November 1st the new Oregon license certification will be adopted. ICC requirements will no longer be required as building certifications. Also, Tom spoke to the group about the new Oregon Residential Combo Certification. He introduced Katelyn Leasia, who is in a trial residential inspectors program through BCD. BCD is also providing a new Building Official certification class for inspectors who are interested.
IV. REPORTS OF OFFICERS
- Treasurer’s Operating Report – Dennis commented that membership dues are coming in.
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- Reminder of upcoming classes:
(1.) ATC- 20 and FEMA P-154 Classes-July 12 & 13
(2.) Cannabis Extraction & OR Code Requirements - June 27.
(3.) Fire Pumps – July 27
(4.) Sprinkler Protection of Storage – July 28
(5.) Fire alarms NFPA – 72 class at ABM
- Reminder – registration and lodging for Diamond Lake
- Changes to Itinerary – Ted spoke about minor changes.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
- Chapter of the Year Award Process – in by July 1.
- ICC Annual Conference, Kansas City, Missouri Expenditure. Members voted to help send Ted Zuk and Jeremy Payne, upcoming new President, to the Annual Conference. The members agreed to pay for the Airline fares for these two distinguished individuals to attend the conference.
- September meeting location change
- Region II recognition at ICC Conference
- Michael Wich – At Large ICC Board request for support. No action was taken.
- Brenda Thompson – Re-Election request for support to Board. Members agreed to send a letter of support, drafted by Jeremy.
- Addressed in new Business
VIII. OPEN DISCUSSION
- Office invites open. Vice President and Secretary Positions are open. If interested contact Members at Large.
- Jay brought up a discussion about Expansive Soils. Structures of 4000 ft. and larger may require an Engineered Structural Report. Various jurisdictions felt that a required structural report on expansive soils would be on case by case bases.
IX. NEXT MEETING
- July 28th at Carnegie Bldg. 413 W. Main Street, Medford
- Meeting at noon during the Fire Sprinkler Class
- Meeting adjourned @ 1:38 P.M.